1. WaterYour body is essentially 70% water, so it only makes sense that in order for it to function optimally you must drink water.
Water helps flush out those nasty toxins your liver is working so hard to remove, while simultaneously pushing the good nutrients throughout your body.
2. LemonsLemons should be listed as one of nature’s most powerful superfoods simply because they can do so much to not only keep you healthy but treat existing health issues, even cancer.
You can add lemon juice to water every time you pour yourself a glass but recent studies show that the real benefits of lemons lie in the entire lemon.
Add 1-2 tablespoons of freshly squeezed lemon juice to 8 ounces of tepid water. It won’t take long before you see your energy levels rise and you being to feel like a new person.
3. TurmericAmong its numerous health promoting properties, according to the Journal of the Medical Association of Thailand, turmeric has been shown repair damaged liver tissues. You can sprinkle some on your food or take it in capsule form.
4. BerriesYou’ve no doubt heard about antioxidants and their powerful ability to fight free radicals that can cause significant damage to your body if left unchecked.
Well, you guessed it, berries are full of healthy nutrients, fiber and antioxidants. Eating a handful of berries everyday can definitely help your liver detox.
5. GarlicNot just to keep vampires away, garlic is a potent anti-bacterial, anti-fungal that is full of selenium and allicin, both key ingredients for eliminating toxins.
While fresh garlic is best, you can take garlic supplements. When eating garlic always remember to crush it first and leave it for 10-15 minutes in order to release its active components.
6. GrapefruitGrapefruit is another food that is high in antioxidants but as well, it contains a specific antioxidant called naringenin, a powerful flavonoid known as wonderful anti-inflammatory, which goes a long way to preventing disease.
Grapefruit also contains an enzyme that can trigger a reaction in the liver that helps to make toxic compounds more water soluble for easier elimination from the body. Grapefruit further helps to prevent your liver from storing fat.
7. ApplesYou have undoubtedly heard the adage, “an apple a day keeps the doctor away.”
The reason for this is a specific nutrient called pectin that helps with proper digestion, which ultimately makes it easier for your liver to do its job.
8. Whole Grains (Quinoa, Teff, Oats)Apart from the obvious nutritional value of whole grains, they are rich in dietary fiber, which help the liver in removing toxins.
9. Green TeaGreen tea contains high levels of catechins, effective antioxidants that help improve liver function and fat burning, making it harder for your liver to store dangerous fats.
10. Cold-pressed OilsOrganic cold pressed, virgin oils such as coconut, olive oil, flaxseed or hempseed oils have been shown to alleviate toxic stress on your liver by encouraging lipid production that absorbs harmful substances that might otherwise enter your other organs and cells.
- Other liver-promoting foods include walnuts, which are rich in omega fatty acids, glutathione (a powerful antioxidant), and the amino acid, arginine, all of which keep dangerous chemicals and substances like ammonia from entering your body.
- Avocados contain healthy fats that aid in the elimination of harmful toxins.
- Beets and carrots are full of flavonoids.
- Leafy green veggies contain chlorophyll (a natural detoxifier) and stimulate bile production.