Saturday, April 4, 2020

LAUGHTER IS THE BEST MEDICINE


 Hello and good day,

Today will be Dan’s and my 19th day of hunkering down and per the governor of
Virginia will continue to June 10th.  This is our new world, but this does not mean that we cannot have laughter.  I have blogged several times about laughter, I guess for it has helped me get through the sadder times in my life and with all the research that I have found, we all lag this in our lives. Plus, I never get tired of laughing!!

The other day, my wife asked me to pass her lipstick but I accidentally passed her a glue stick. She still isn't talking to me.

I couldn't figure out why the baseball kept getting larger. Then it hit me.
What did the traffic light say to the car? Don’t look! I’m about to change.

DO YOU HAVE A JOKE TO SHARE!!

I was listening to a program today on laughter and how important it is to us to keep joy in our lives.  During the uncertainty in the world around us, it is kind of hard to keep the laughter and joy.  They say that laughter is contagious and is good medicine.

The following medical conditions are some of the possible causes of laughter. There are likely to be other possible causes, so ask your doctor about your symptoms. Normal happy personality - of course, laughter need not be inappropriate.

Studies show that laughter can: lower inflammation levels in people with rheumatoid arthritis; improve levels of good (HDL) cholesterol and reduce inflammation in diabetics with high blood pressure and high cholesterol; decrease stress and pain; and expand blood vessels and increase healthy blood flow.

Laughter -
Provides an Internal Workout. Laughing is a simple process, ...
Reduces Stress. Laughter is a great form of stress relief.

Improves Sleep Quality. If you are having difficulty enjoying sound sleep at night, ...

Fights Depression. Laughter can help people suffering from either seasonal effective disorder...

Laughter is a movement (usually involuntary) of the muscles of the face, particularly of the lips, with a peculiar expression of the eyes, indicating merriment, satisfaction, or derision, and usually attended by a sonorous and interrupted expulsion of air from the lungs.

Lets all try it, even in the mist of uncertainly.  We are one drop that joins another to form an ocean.  Let’s try to pass it on.

In searching for information on laughter and how it can change your whole perspective of life, I came across this article:

Laughter is the Best Medicine

It’s fun to share a good laugh, but did you know it can actually improve your health? Learn how to harness the powerful benefits of laughter and humor.
It’s true: laughter is strong medicine. It draws people together in ways that trigger healthy physical and emotional changes in the body. Laughter strengthens your immune system, boosts mood, diminishes pain, and protects you from the damaging effects of stress. Nothing works faster or more dependably to bring your mind and body back into balance than a good laugh. Humor lightens your burdens, inspires hope, connects you to others, and keeps you grounded, focused, and alert. It also helps you release anger and forgive sooner.

With so much power to heal and renew, the ability to laugh easily and frequently is a tremendous resource for surmounting problems, enhancing your relationships, and supporting both physical and emotional health. Best of all, this priceless medicine is fun, free, and easy to use.

As children, we used to laugh hundreds of times a day, but as adults, life tends to be more serious and laughter more infrequent. But by seeking out more opportunities for humor and laughter, you can improve your emotional health, strengthen your relationships, find greater happiness—and even add years to your life.

Laughter is good for your health

Laughter relaxes the whole body. A good, hearty laugh relieves physical tension and stress, leaving your muscles relaxed for up to 45 minutes after.

Laughter boosts the immune system. Laughter decreases stress hormones and increases immune cells and infection-fighting antibodies, thus improving your resistance to disease.

Laughter triggers the release of endorphins, the body’s natural feel-good chemicals. Endorphins promote an overall sense of well-being and can even temporarily relieve pain.

Laughter protects the heart. Laughter improves the function of blood vessels and increases blood flow, which can help protect you against a heart attack and other cardiovascular problems.

Laughter burns calories. OK, so it’s no replacement for going to the gym, but one study found that laughing for 10 to 15 minutes a day can burn approximately 40 calories—which could be enough to lose three or four pounds over the course of a year.

Laughter lightens anger’s heavy load. Nothing diffuses anger and conflict faster than a shared laugh. Looking at the funny side can put problems into perspective and enable you to move on from confrontations without holding onto bitterness or resentment.

Laughter may even help you to live longer. A study in Norway found that people with a strong sense of humor outlived those who don’t laugh as much. The difference was particularly notable for those battling cancer.

Since Dan and my diagnosis with cancer, we have made it a practice to live life with humor.  We laugh, watch funny movies and do silly things, to bring the positive in even the worst of times. 

 Written by Katie Lou

Published: September 2016

A little bit of laughter,
A little bit of tears,
A little bit of happiness,
A little bit of fear.
They say laughter is the best medicine
And that it's OK to shed a tear.
Happiness is a great feeling,
And fear makes you stronger.
Enjoy the laughter,
Release the tears,
Embrace the happiness,
Forget the fears.
Enjoy every moment you get
Regret NOTHING
And always remember...LAUGH!

WHAT SMALL BLESSINGS HAVE YOU NOT PAID MUCH ATTENTION TO THAT DESERVE MORE RECOGNITION?

What have you been up to, I would like to hear!

Yesterday, Dan and I were able to walk our full three miles without so many people out and about in our complex.  As we were walking, I looked up to the sky and noticed the moon, it was around four o’clock.  Just had to take a picture!


Until tomorrow, stay your distance, be safe and stay at home.  Let’s stop this virus!!

I wrote this piece in 2011, it still has a lot of meaning for all of us during these uncertain days.

I haven't forgotten that I am just one person,

That I am but one voice attempting to stand out from the crowd.

I know that I can't sit here and expect my words to create change without reason.

I can see if I don't educate and try to make a change, then I can't expect anyone to follow my world.

I can feel that time is slipping by me, that it will be gone if I just stand still.

I have heard that there are a million other voices that sound like mine, that want also to be heard.

I've been told that it's not enough to wish for dreams that I have to work them into reality.

Your voice, your opinion-- mean something.

KNOWLEDGE IS POWER!!

You are one drop, but together we can make an ocean.

Let's think outside the box, and let your voice, your opinion--be heard.

 FOR MY GRANDSON



No comments: