Tuesday, August 20, 2013
15 USES FOR COFFEE GROUNDS
1. Hair Rinse – Steep coffee grounds in hot water for 15 minutes. Allow to cool slightly and rinse clean brown or dark red hair for shine and rich color....
2. Garbage Disposer Cleaner – Add a half a cup of coffee grounds to your garbage disposer and turn on, running cold water, until the grounds are cleared. Your disposer will be fresh and clean!
3. Facial Exfoliator – Add a teaspoon to facial cleanser for a great exfoliating wash.
4. Cat Deterrent – Mix coffee grounds and orange peels, then spread them around gardens that are under attack by cats. The grounds will fertilize the garden while preventing cats from entering.
5. Body Scrub – Many of the pricy cellulite washes contain caffeine. Why spend big bucks when you can make a scrub at home easily with leftover grounds? Mix ¼ C coffee grounds with ¼ C brown sugar and ¼ C coconut oil. Use it in a warm shower to exfoliate and rejuvenate your skin.
6. Plant Booster – Sprinkle coffee grounds around acid loving plants, such as tomatoes, roses, azaleas and rhododendrons. The grounds will work their way into the soil and provide much needed nutrients to the plants for beautiful blooms and better yields.
7. Ant Deterrent – Sprinkle coffee grounds around where ants are nesting to rid your yard and home of the pesky little critters. (Have I said how much I dislike ants?)
8. Scratch Cover-Up on Wood Furniture – Steep coffee grounds for a dark, rich brew, then brush on wood scratches for a great easy cover-up.
9. Fireplace Cleaning – Sprinkle damp coffee grounds over ashes to keep dust down while you clean your fireplace out.
10. Hand Wash – Remove grease and odors from your hands easily, even hard things like car grease and garlic odors. There are two ways you can do this. Make a bar of soap by simply melting shredded ivory soap in the microwave, then mix in 2 tablespoons of coffee grounds. Press into a plastic dish to allow to cool. Use as you would any hand soap. Or, you can just rub the grounds into your hands and wash as usual. It will remove not only the dirt but the odors.
11. Keep Away Gophers – If you have gophers in your yard, or they are in the neighbor’s yard and you want to keep it that way, sprinkle coffee grounds around your yard, and especially in the holes and tunnels they leave behind. They hate coffee and will vacate the area.
12. Melt Icy Driveways – Dry out your grounds and store them for winter. They are an amazing way to melt icy driveways. Simply sprinkle as you would salt, and watch it go. Instead of chemically melting the snow, they will absorb the sunlight, even on cloudy days, and melt the snow and ice. Plus, it won’t leave the edges of your driveway barren of plant life in the spring.
13. Compost Activator – Worms love coffee. Add coffee grounds to your compost bin or pile and watch it attract worms. Your compost will be amazing!
14. Eliminate Refrigerator Odors – Dry out some coffee grounds and place in a plastic dish, such as a clean margarine tub. Punch holes in the lid, cover, and place in your refrigerator. The grounds will absorb any odors. Check on it every other week to make sure it’s not growing any mold.
15. Dish washing Abrasive – If you run out of your favorite abrasive or just want a more natural one, mix some coffee grounds with your dish-washing soap and use it to scrub your pots and pans clean!