Tuesday, June 21, 2011


It’s Monday ~ and today was a overwhelming long day for me. It was the day that I had mixed  emotions for this was finally the day for the beginning of my booster treatment.
It started out great, Dan and I was driven to the facility by a shuttle. The first thing that I was told was that the procedure to put the port in would be at 1:00. Good ;that meant that I had time to get breakfast. We headed to the café and was greeted with open hands. The last time I was there in the facility, there was this girl that would come in to deliver my afternoon and evening snacks and she was also in the café when we arrived this time. I could not believe that she remembered me for it has been almost six months since it was the last time there. She came over to me and gave me a big hug.

The next thing I knew the chef came in and we discussed what type of dishes we would be eating for the next ten days. The first dish was a vegetable omelet with coffee ~ of course it was all organic. After breakfast we ran across one of my doctors and we hugged and spoke for awhile. The next surprise to me was another patient that was in the facility the same time I was in last time, Ana was in the café. I was able to spend sometime with her and was happy to see that she was doing awesome. She lives in Mexico and has done so much to spread FUNCTIONAL MEDICINE. I am so happy that I got to see her again and this time spend more time, since we both are doing much better.

Well, It came time ~ it was 1:00 pm and Dan and I headed toward the emergency room where they were going to perform the port. As we approached the emergency room we were greeted by the coordinator of our stay, she apologies that the doctor that was going to perform the procedure had an emergency surgery and was going to be in about 2:30 pm, so we went back to the café to speak to Ana some more. We exchanged address and spoke of getting together with Vera my angel before we leave.

Anticipation, to make a long story short, my procedure ended up being at 5:30, which the doctor came in apologizing several times for the delay, but he had said that he had an emergency surgery to perform.

The day finally ended around 8:00, when we made it to our hotel room with some food that the chef had made before we left the facility. My night went some what smoothly. If any one knows, when you have a port, it really doesn’t hurt, its just pressure. Almost like a tooth that was pulled. Tomorrow I’m going to have my


The concept for Hyperthermia perfusion is to warm up the patients blood slowly up to 42-43 degree celsius, which is Fahrenheit 107.6 degrees Celsius (42) or 109.4 C (43). This will be like having a mild fever.

This procedure is continued for anywhere from one hour to two hours. This depends on the patients homodynamic stability and blood gas results. The flow is a very low flow, around 30 to 80 ml/min. A high flow is not necessary, just as long as it is continuous. A linear flow is better. This is done by providing a constant low flow at a warm temperature. The patient is awake and this enables the perfusionist and the doctor, who are both present the entire procedure; to monitor the patient closely.

The console that provides the temperature and flow is regulated by perimeters dialed in. The patient has a monitor which reveals the: EKG, respiratory rate, arterial saturation and the blood pressure. ACT’s are run the length of the case to insure proper anticoagulation, so no clots form in the software.

Contact info: VERA LOPEZ

(619) 261-7582



No comments: