Monday, October 1, 2012

STRESS TEST ~ PSA 5.8

It’s a new Month ~ it’s October, where has the year gone by. Hello everyone I thought this time around I will begin where my cancer journey all started from the beginning. Just after going through approx. 2 years of ups and downs with my wife and her fight with breast cancer we decided to take a trip to the big apple to deliver our daughter all her stuff which we had been keeping since she graduated from college. It was to be a longer trip then normal fore we were dragging a trailer and driving back roads all the way from where we live in Florida. It was the relief we needed to just get away because finally we got what we prayed for NO MORE CANCER. All tests proved it was gone so we said lets go. Prior to leaving I had visited my doctor for my normal blood work for I have heart disease. While we were on the road, I received a call on my cell phone from my primary care doctor that the PSA level was 5.8 and the normal is 4 and under. At that time he suggested that I see an urologist for an additional test. This bothered me the whole trip, but I tried to file it in the back of my mind for I could not do anything at this time. I decided to make the best of the trip and when I get back I would then figure out what to do. My wife has shared our trip on this blog, please check out the enjoyment that we shared up north with our daughter as well as with other relatives.

I returned home with worry and stress wondering what will be. Sherry and I had celebrated our thirty year anniversary and with her managing the cancer we were overjoyed and now me, what more can go wrong!!!!

The minute I got back I scheduled an appointment to see an urologist. It was on August 23rd, the day in my life that seemed like it never ended. We waited in the lobby for over a half hour with heaviness on my mind. Finely I got called to see the doctor. As I was being examined I advised him of pains on the left side near the groin area. After his exam he advised me that I have two Hernias‘, one on the left and the other on the right. The final result was that in order to make sure I had no prostate cancer would be having a biopsy. Now it was important to choose either having a biopsy or getting my hernia’s repaired. I had more stress over the fact that I might have cancer, so I chose to have the biopsy. We then went to the check out counter and scheduled the procedure for September 5th. While I was waiting for the magical day, I also had another issue to attend with the hernias. If any of you ever had a hernia you know how painful it can be. Sherry and I did some research on the internet regarding support products. We were advised that there was this truss that would give support until I was able to have surgery to repair them. We drove that Monday to a medical supply store and spoke to a representative explaining the situation. She walked us to the truss display and stated we would need a double one.

Wow, the one that I got was light weight, doubled-layer elastic waistband; fully-ventilated pocket for pad, flannel leg straps, and adjusts up, down and sideways. How uncomfortable it is!!! Never ever thought I would have to go through all this and wait to get a biopsy to see if I have cancer.

Until the next post of what went down during the biopsy and the results, I am enjoying my golden years.

 


 


chart arrow
chart arrow




chart arrow
chart arrow


chart arrow
chart arrow









 

 

No comments: